Monday, August 24, 2009

Make it easy to break a habit

-Bad habits are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of.
Why is it so easy to form a habit but so difficult to change-break-extinguish a habit?
Here's a tip. To initiate your campaign against the habit start small by setting easy goals with actions that you complete within a time frame:
Write down one very simple activity that you agree to do every day. Example: write on a piece of paper "Read this text." That's a simple commitment.
For the next few days, make sure to pick up that piece of paper, read and follow what it says.
Start adding simple activities that you'd like to do every day. One of the things that I wrote down initially was "Keep work desk clean". I used to clean my desk every 6 months or so. Always felt guilty about not doing often enough, but could never convince myself to do it - it seemed like too much work.
Then one day I read somewhere that "the state of your immediate surroundings affects your ability to focus and be productive" That same day, "Clean desk" went on my "daily ritual" piece of paper. After doing it for a while, I no longer have to think about cleaning my desk or argue with myself about whether or not I really need to dump those unnecessary papers or carry the coffee mugs to the kitchen. You've trained yourself to look at it every day - now you can be reasonably sure that you won't be forgetting to do stuff that's written on it.
If you make it easy breaking a habit is not difficult at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers